Wednesday, January 18, 2012

George Lucas Says He Will Never Make Another Star Wars Movie


I think this is some of the best news that has come out of the mouth of George Lucas in some time. Apparently George has decided not to make any more Star Wars movies because of YOU! In an interview with the New York Times, Lucas states that all the criticism about the changes he has made to the original films has hurt his feelings. Instead of listening to his fans he has lashed out at them. Check the quote:

"On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it."

With that said, George states that the new movie "Red Tails" will be his last "Blockbuster" movie. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but considering what he's done to the resent movies, I can't say that this is a bad thing. I'm a reader of many of the new Star Wars books that has expanded the series well beyond the known movies, and I have to say many of those books are superior to what Lucas has come up with. In fact I have seen episodes of the TV series 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' that were better than some of what Lucas has come up with. Lets face it, arguably the best Star Wars installment was 'The Empire Strikes Back', which happen to be the one movie that he had the least involvement with. He didn't direct it (Irvin Kershner), and although he wrote the story, it still needed to be tweaked by screenplay writers (Leigh Brackett & Lawrence Kasdan) for public consumption. Watching George's "unfiltered" work is brutal at best. But craving new Star Wars movies and a major money maker, 20th Century Fox felt compelled to allow Lucas the freedom that he had always wanted...... hence, the prequels.

And we all know how those turned out.... Major money maker, but not the soul that the originals had.

And although I am grateful to George for coming up with the Star Wars universe, my hope is that he turns over the licensing to his kids one day. Allowing them to bring in better writers that are more talented than Lucas ever was.

Sorry George..... Can't say that my feelings are hurt with that statement.

[io9]

2 comments:

Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

In your post you say, "In fact I have seen episodes of the TV series 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' that were better than some of what Lucas has come up with."

I was just wondering if you were aware that George Lucas is the creator and executive producer of the series.